This Memorial Day let’s honor those that have served our country in song form. Here are my top 5 historic musical selections that I simply LOVE! These songs are timeless and speak clearly to the feelings that are showcased during times of war and military service. Listen to theses songs. Teach them to your children. And, above all, be thankful for those that serve us.
- Bob Dylan, Masters of War: “Masters of War” is a song by Bob Dylan, written over the winter of 1962–63 and released on the album The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan in the spring of 1963.
- Joni Mitchell, The Fiddle and the Drum: “The Fiddle and the Drum” is a song by Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell; it was first recorded by Mitchell on her 1969 album Clouds.
- Freda Payne, Bring the Boys Home: Freda Charcilia Payne (born September 19, 1942) is an American Soul/R&B … and the Vietnam War protest song “Bring the Boys Home” (U.S. Billboard Hot 100).
- Bob Marley, War/No More Trouble: “War” is a song recorded and made popular by Bob Marley. It first appeared on Bob Marley and the Wailers’ 1976 Island Records album, Rastaman Vibration, Marley’s only top 10 album in the USA.
- Jimmie Osborne, God Please Protect America: God Please Protect America God, Please Protect America King 893-AA Performed by Jimmie Osborne Recorded July 26, 1950 Written by Jimmie Osborne.